[whatwg] HTML5 Feedback: Section 3.5.3 Scrolling elements into view

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Brad Fults wrote:
> >
> >   2. It may not be possible to align the top of the element
> >      with the top of the viewport without scrolling past the
> >      bottom of the document, so the "must" is unreasonable.
> >      This contingency should be mentioned (scrolling past the
> >      bottom of the document is not, as far as I know, desired).
>
> I don't understand what you mean. How can something in the document be
> further down than the bottom of the document?

I'm wondering if he was thinking about cases where the element is
shorter vertically than the viewport?  It might be worth clarifying
what happens in that case.  I assume the answer is "nothing"?

> > Secondly, with respect to this section as a whole, I see no description
> > of necessary behavior for horizontal scrolling. Surely this is an issue
> > that must be addressed, as it would be decidedly deficient if
> > scrollIntoView() only took vertical scrolling into account, leaving
> > horizontally overflown content still outside of the viewport after the
> > method's invocation.
>
> Do UAs do any horizontal scrolling today? I've mentioned it,
> but I'm not sure what to say really.

Well, it seems like you could offer instructions analagous to
the vertical case, substituting "left" and "right" for "top"
and "bottom", no?  That could imply a second argument to the
function...

Matt
--
Matt Bonner