[whatwg] Some <video> questions

Charles wrote:
> Oliver,
>

>> You're basically complaining about the codec choice...
>>

> No, this thread isn't about that.
>
> I'm saying that the <video> element doesn't solve the problem that needs
> solving.  Read the thread again, ignore the stuff about 3rd-party QuickTime
> components, and hopefully my points will be clear.

Can you explain it again, because I'm not sure I fully understand what
you're trying to say and I don't seem to be the only one.

AIUI, the current situation with video is:

We are looking for a single format that all parties will be willing and
able to deploy. If found, this format will be a MUST support for UAs, so
providing authors with a single target codec

Independent of that, the video element allows authors to target multiple
codecs and then allows the browser to select one that it supports.

A strict reading of the spec suggests that UAs are not allowed to
allocate any space in the content for controls; they must overlay or be
part of the browser chrome. I don't know if this is a correct reading of
the spec, or if there is any harn in allowing the UA to take up some of
the allocated space with controls.

What else do you want?