[whatwg] Some <video> questions

On 28.1.2008, at 13:51, Charles wrote:

> Antti,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
>> The video implementation available in the WebKit nightlies uses
>> overlay controls that fade away during playback and don't affect
>> the size of the video box.  I saw a Firefox demo of this feature
>> that took similar approach as well.
>
> Does WebKit do this whether the plug-in handling the format is
> QuickTime,
> Windows Media/Silverlight, Flash, etc.?
>
> If users do show the <video> element's controls, are the plug-in's
> native
> controls shown?  And when that happens, does the <video> element's
> height
> attribute then change if though the video's actual height hasn't
> changed?

The <video> element offers an interface to the native media playback
capabilities of the platform. It is not a plug-in mechanism and it is
not suitable for embedding things like Flash or Silverlight. There are
existing mechanisms for that.

Since there is no plug-in the concept of "plug-in's native controls"
is not really applicable.

    antti