[whatwg] ogg vorbis standard

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, I Holroyd wrote:

> Setting a free and open source solution as THE STANDARD is the only
> ethical solution.

I believe everyone agrees that the desired solution for a common video
codec in HTML5 is one that is freely implementable and royalty free,
amongst other requirements.

> Anyone is free to support it, adapt it and improve it, but no one has
> to, but we can all be assured that the flow of information we desire is
> available, without charge, to anyone at all - that is the purpose of
> standards and especially internet standards.

I'm not sure this makes sense -- if not everyone is required to implement
the common codec, how can we ensure that everyone can be assured that they
can use it in an interoperable manner?

> Can we make standards ISO compliant

Ironically, the only high or moderately high quality ISO standard video
codecs that I'm aware of are the MPEG codecs, which are not royalty free.

Everyone agrees that we need a free and open codec. However, those are not
the only requirements -- we also need a codec that everyone is willing to
implement. We are still working on finding such a codec.

Thaks for your input,