[whatwg] How to use SVG in HTML5?

On 23/01/2008, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals at opera.com> wrote:

> An image is not a replacement for text in the real world, only in Ian's
> current drafts. And where it is, SVG is ideal for having beautifully
> styled selectable interactive text that is lightweight and easy to create
> (or heavyweight and bloated if you use something like inkscape, but still
> easy to create and easy to automagically optimise to something
> lightweight).
> Which is why I disagree thoroughly with Chris' assertion here.

FWIW, my use case is to be able to create images in SVG and just use
them as ... images, just like I do PNGs or JPEGs. It was also somewhat
inspired by setting up rsvg for MediaWiki on our work intranet and
wanting to hit it repeatedly with a hammer ... but relying on
client-side SVG rendering will have to wait until Firefox 3 renders it
not only correctly, but without pegging the processor just displaying
;-)

I think Chris is incorrect in his assertion because clients can be
presumed to have increasing amounts of rendering power available just
to make pretty pictures. Every browser (except IE) *has* SVG
rendering. Firefox 3 will have *accurate* SVG rendering. SVG is the
Right Thing for so many situations. It's all looking promising to me
so far.

- d.