[whatwg] Reverse ordered lists

On Jan 23, 2008 12:18 PM, Dave Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

> how about assuming that if the source wants it numbered in reverse
> order, it knows what it is doing, and can tell the browser what
> number to start at?
>
> it still seems the simplest:  an attribute that gives the starting
> number (default 1) and an attribute that gives the direction
> (increasing or decreasing, default increasing).

True, that's simplest to implement, but why put the onus on the content
author to add things up and specify a start value every time? Computers are
for automating such calculations. If you're reversing a list, the default
value for start shouldn't be 1 anymore; that should be the ending value, and
the starting value ought to be backwards-engineered from it. This is
precisely how a content creator would expect it to work.

I'm surprised at you, being from Apple as you are. ;) Isn't the idea to make
*using* such a function simple and intuitive, even if it has to be a little
more complicated on the back-end?

- Jason