[whatwg] [Whatwg] Parsing: Greater-than characters in doctype

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:18:58 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> I looked into these, and frankly, I'm reluctant to add them to the spec.
> haven't seen a huge number of sites that depend on these, and the other
> browsers don't seem to particularly require it.
>
> Unless someone has a good reason to do otherwise, I say we skip this.

That makes sense, but, then I'd like doctypes to be closed at the first >
even if it's in a FPI or SI, to match Opera, Safari and Firefox, and to
allow implementations to do doctype analysis in the parser stage instead
of in the tokenizer stage should they so wish, or skip doctype analysis
altogether if it is of no interest to them...

i.e., I'd like the > character in these states:

    DOCTYPE public identifier (double-quoted) state
    DOCTYPE public identifier (single-quoted) state
    DOCTYPE system identifier (double-quoted) state
    DOCTYPE system identifier (single-quoted) state

...to be a parse error, mark the doctype as incorrect, emit the token, and
switch to the data state.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software