[whatwg] Section 5.7.3.3 Parsing cache manifests

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:27:55 +0300

Dec 31, 2008, ? 3:52 AM, Jonas Sicking ???????(?):

>>> this means we could never do:
>>> "^<BOM>?CACHE MANIFEST2"
>>

>> If incompatible changes to the format are ever needed, we can change
>> Content-Type.
>
> Ugh, depending on the content-type for things like versioning would
> suck, people have a hard time getting that right even for HTML vs.
> GIF, so trying to use it for things as subtle as versions is bound to
> be too unreliable.
>
> But maybe just using a signature to detect that it's a manifest file
> of some version is enough, then manifest specific code can be used to
> choose which parser version to use.

My point is that the manifest format is quite extensible as it is, so
only a very drastic change would require versioning.

But anyway, it will still be possible to change signatures: just use
"^<BOM>?EXTENDED CACHE MANIFEST", not "^<BOM>?CACHE MANIFEST2".

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov