[whatwg] Spellchecking mark III

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:38:42 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> In 2006 I proposed the following spec for a spellcheck="" attribute,
> based on requests from the Google engineers then working on Firefox:
>
>    http://www.damowmow.com/playground/spellcheck.txt
>
> The same engineers have since implemented this feature in Chrome also,
> and
> Google does use this attribute on its sites. However, the attribute has
> seen very little interest outside of Google, with just a handful of sites
> using it, primarily in dyanamic editor libraries.
>
> I have therefore not added this feature to HTML5 for the time being. If
> there is more interest in this feature, please speak up.

Opera wants to support this feature as well in due course, so I don't
think we would mind it being added to HTML5. Does it being in Chrome mean
it is also WebKit? If so, together with Firefox support, seems like a
compelling reason to add the feature.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>