[whatwg] 8.2.4.37: EOF handling

From: Philip Taylor <excors+whatwg@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:41:55 +0000
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Edward Z. Yang
<edwardzyang at thewritingpot.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I think EOF should be handled explicitly in the states after we "Consume
> the U+0023 NUMBER SIGN," since the spec as it stands right now implies
> that there will always be another character after the number sign. Or am
> I being a little redundant?

EOF is always treated as if it were a character, e.g. lots of places
say "Consume the next input character: ... EOF -> ... Reconsume the
EOF character in the data state". If you have "&#" at the end of a
file, the next character is the EOF character, which is not 'x' or 'X'
and so it is "anything else". So it seems consistent and unambiguous
to me.

--
Philip Taylor
excors at gmail.com