[whatwg] Thoughts on video accessibility

From: Martin Atkins <mart@degeneration.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:08:57 -0800
Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Take this as an example:
>
> <video src="http://example.com/video.ogv" controls>
>  <text category="CC" lang="en" type="text/x-srt" src="caption.srt"></text>
>  <text category="SUB" lang="de" type="application/ttaf+xml"
> src="german.dfxp"></text>
>  <text category="SUB" lang="jp" type="application/smil"
> src="japanese.smil"></text>
>  <text category="SUB" lang="fr" type="text/x-srt"
> src="translation_webservice/fr/caption.srt"></text>
> </video>

Could this combining of resources be achieved instead with SMIL or some
other existing format?

If there is already a format for doing this then I think HTML should
avoid re-inventing it unless HTML's version is better in some way.

On the other hand, if what is invented for HTML is indeed better in some
way, it's likely to also be valuable outside of HTML, for example in
situations where SMIL is used today. (For example, loading a video and
its subtitles directly into a standalone player without needing to
manually load both streams.)

What are the advantages of doing this directly in HTML rather than
having the "src" attribute point at some sort of compound media document?