[whatwg] Use cases for Node.getElementById

Jo?o Eiras ha scritto:

> IMO, anyone suggesting a Node.getElementById clearly does not know
> very well how getElementById is supposed to work.
> There are ways to transverse a DOM tree currently, either DOM
> properties and methods, XPath, selectors API and such.
> Considering ids are required to be unique in the context of a single
> document, implementations can, and do, implement id lookup using
> optimized data structures like a hash table, which is much more
> performant than doing transversal.
> So if there is a special node in a document, add an id to it and get
> its reference will be performant (ideally O(1)).

Such a hash table cannot prevent at all the need of traversing the DOM
tree for the purpose of a _correct_ implementation of .getElementById. A
DOM tree is a live structure, so the hash table must be checked and
updated each time a node is removed AND each time a node is inserted,
for a couple of reasons, and such update may request some kind of tree
traversing (i.e. to compare nodes relative position). Actually,
getElementById is being defined as returning the _first_ element with a
matching ID, as a graceful degradation in case of duplicate IDs and to
give a better standard (= unique) definition of the expected behavior in
front of duplicate IDs, than what stated in DOM 3 Core (which leaves
such behavior unspecified -- it's said to be undefined -- and possibly
implementation or document specific); this means that, upon insertion of
a new element, this one might be the new 'first' element with a certain
id, so its order must be checked and the hash table updated accordingly.
When an element is removed, independently of the previous scenario, if
it was in the hash table it might be just removed from the table a well,
but such wouldn't work fine, because there might be a descendant, or an
otherwise following element with the same id: after the removal, such
element would pass from the 'illegal' state of being a duplicate-ID
element, to the 'legal' state of being the current element to be
returned by getElementById => the existence of such an element must be
checked and the hash table updated accordingly. If there are far more
insertions and/or removals of elements with the id attribute set, than
calls to getElementById, the advantage of a live hash table vs
traversing as needed can be quite lost; anyway, a traversal can be quite
fast, especially if the DOM structure is implemented as a balanced
binary tree (and I hope you don't wish to implement any kind of
non-binary tree as the base tree structure).

> If the uniqueness requirement is removed, then getElementById looses
> its whole meaning and should actually be removed from the
> specification entirely, else then we would need more bloat like
> getElementById or getElementListById and whatever.

Do you thing that getElementsByTagName and getElementsByClassName are
bloaty and useless too? However, my point was, and is, another (I'm not
for Node.getElementById - nor I am strongly against it).

> If you really need to get the element with id in a subtree, connected
> or disconnected from the main tree, one can use selectors API, DOM
> transversal, XPath, etc.

Currently, the id uniqueness is defined such as constraining not only a
whole document, but also a disconnected subtree. Then, what API is such
constraint relevant for? If none, is it worth to declare such constraint
for disconnected subtrees? Or, is there any need for an API directly
handling IDs in disconnected subtrees?

In other words, what's being constrained by the id uniqueness in a
disconnected subtree? A disconnected subtree may be a subtree of another
document, different from the one currently handled by a script; in this
case, the id uniqueness is relevant for the actual document containing
the subtree (while any other document shouldn't be affected by
cross-document IDs clashes). Otherwise, it may be a subtree external to
any document, and in such case, perhaps, it might be out of scope for
HTML 5 documents specification. I'm starting to think that at most it
might be said, for disconnected subtrees outside any actual html
document but consisting of html elements, that any API dealing with
unique identifiers in a disconnected subtree of html elements must treat
the value of any such element's id attribute as the element default ID
(the id value uniqueness being a consequence of both its nature as ID
property and the nature of an API methods targeting an element ID
property, but not imposed by the specifications, since currently there
is no such method in the scope of HTML 5 DOM). As a consequence, the id
value uniqueness might be in scope for a DOM Core specification
explicitly willing to handle ID properties in a disconnected (and
'document-less') subtree of Elements, just because the id value
represent (at least) the first attribute of an HTML element to be
evaluated looking for an ID property.

Regard, Alex.

 Sponsor:
 Check-up finanziario di Intesa Sanpaolo. Prenotalo subito online, ? gratis e senza impegno.
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8437&d=7-12