[whatwg] media elements: Relative seeking

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> We removed some other features (e.g. bufferedBytes and totalBytes) because
> implementors said they would always provide accurate values in the
> buffered and duration attributes. If we allow duration to be NaN, then
> we'd have to re-add the other features again.

It's not possible to always provide accurate values for duration -
we've already discussed that and you suggested estimating. I don't see
that as an accurate value. Can you link to the post where implementors
said they would always provide accurate values? The only accurate
value I can provide with Ogg is the exact duration if the http server
supports byte range requests, or some other out of band duration
metadata (X-Content-Duration, etc). Without byte range requests,
accurate duration is not possible.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz