[whatwg] media elements: Relative seeking

Ian Hickson schrieb:
> You can jump to a position that's a fraction of the whole clip by setting
> 'currentTime' to a fractional multiple of 'duration'.

Right, I was thinking of what happens if no duration could be determined
with acceptable effort. However, by now I happen to think that
determining the duration where possible (even if its not completely
straightforward) is useful enough to require it.

>>  - make currentTime readonly, still have it report playback position in
>> absolute time. This information should be available in all media formats
>> due to timestamps in the stream.
>>
>>  - introduce a seek() method, taking a relative value ranging from zero
>> to one. This allows both accurate seeking if the duration is known and
>> less precise seeking otherwise if only the length of the file is known
>> in storage units. This is still way better than not being able to seek
>> at all.
>
> Why should currentTime be readonly?

Because seek() would already to trigger seeking (is there a different
usecase for a writeable currentTime?). Anyway, I don't suggest paying
attention to my proposals anymore - after some consideration and
experimentation I don't think they improve anything ;-)

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Maik Merten wrote:
>> This applet does not seek to the end of the stream to retrieve a
>> timestamp there.
>
> It should. :-)

And it now does :-)

http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/cortado/src/com/fluendo/player/DurationScanner.java?view=log

Byte-position based estimates etc. etc. just didn't work out, so I
finally gave in ( ;-) ) and wrote the ~200 lines of code to actually Do
Things Approximately Properly(tm).

Seems I saw an implementation problem where none exists.

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Chris Double wrote:
>> I won't be estimating the duration - the user experience of a
>> fluctuating duration is terrible. For now for Ogg files, I'm seeking to
>> the end and getting the duration. I may check for X-Content-Duration
>> which I believe mod_annodex and soon oggz-chop support.
>
> Cool.

I now finally arrived at the same conclusions.

Maik