[whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Ben Adida wrote:

> Consider specifically the Craigslist example, where the user selects a
> few of the apartments and says "map these."
>
> Clearly, and as the voice-over states, the site needs embedded metadata
> that easily connects "what the user is pointing to" to the structured
> data required for mapping.

Since Craigslist doesn't have structured data now, that seems like a
verifiably false claim. :-)

In fact, Craigslist is a great example. Given how hostile Craigslist has
been to people reusing their data, and how unstructured their page is now,
what reason do we have to believe that they would ever make their data
accessible using RDFa? (Or any other metadata system in fact.)

(I fully intend to reply to the rest of the e-mails sent on the topic of
RDFa in due course, by the way; unfortunately it is not my top priority
right now and so I can only spend so much time on it each day. You can
track what feedback is outstanding on the topic here:

   http://www.whatwg.org/issues/#rdfa

All those e-mails will get a reply from me in due course. Sorry for the
delay.)