[whatwg] <audio controls>

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> Currently the spec doesn't say anything about the rendering of the
> <audio> element. Webkit makes <audio> without "controls" display:none by
> default, which seems reasonable, but it would be nice if spec
> recommended this behaviour. When "controls" is added, the element needs
> to be visible, so it will need an intrinsic size. Since the spec
> specifies the intrinsic size for <video>, shouldn't it do so for <audio>
> as well?

Agreed with all the above. I was hoping to put details about the intrinsic
size of the controls of audio and video elements into the rendering
section, based on what browsers implemented. :-) I don't have any opinion
either way about what it should be. Looks like for video, the trend is to
use overlaying controls (obviously that won't work for audio).