[whatwg] <link rel=icon width="" height="">

* Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>Martin Atkins wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> For color, you are reinventing Media Queries. For compression, you are
>>> basically reinventing q values for MIME types.
>>>
>>> <link type="image/png;q=1.0" media="all and (min-color:8)">
>>> <link type="image/jpeg;q=0.8" media="all and (min-color:8)">

You are using HTTP accept-parameters in a context where a media type
with optional parameters is expected; in other words, this is non-
compliant at the moment since there is no 'q' parameter for the type.

>> Could this be said about size as well?
>>
>> <link type="image/png"
>>       media="all and (max-width:16px and max-height:16px)">
>
>No, because the media queries are related to the actual tech specs of
>the device, not the image.  I'm fairly sure there are no 16x16px screens
>in use, at least not for the web.  To get appropriate behaviour for what
>you're suggesting here would require redefining and special casing media
>queries.

If you read the definition of the media atteribute, you'll find that it
has a dual nature, specifically, it can describe "for which media the
document in question was designed". While this is not currently the case
for 'icon', it could easily be made so, and if, the above would mean the
icon was designed for a viewport or page box of at most 16x16px. If the
icon is rendered into a 16x16px viewport, well, I'd find that fitting.
--
Bj?rn H?hrmann ? mailto:bjoern at hoehrmann.de ? http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 ? Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 ? http://www.bjoernsworld.de