[whatwg] <progress> and <meter> feedback

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, fantasai wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, fantasai wrote:
> > >
> > > Another issue is the possible use of U+2212 MINUS SIGN intead of
> > > U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS. This last, at least, should be handled whenever
> > > the number is parsed from the text content rather than in an
> > > attribute.
> >
> > In the text, negative numbers aren't supported (if you use the
> > fallback to source the numbers, the minimum is fixed to 0 and the
> > maximum must be greater).
>
> Not for progress, but for <meter>, you should be able to.

Sure, for <meter> you can.

> # Note: The meter element should not be used to indicate progress (as in a
> # progress bar). For that role, HTML provides a separate progress  element.
>
> I think this should be normative.

It is. (Correct use of elements in general is a normative requirement.)

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> "minimum value ? actual value ? maximum value
> minimum value ? low boundary ? high boundary ? maximum value
> minimum value ? optimum point ? maximum value"
>
> Shouldn't that be part of the authoring requirements for meter?

Added.

> On progress, I think max should be a positive float and value should be
> a non-negative float.

This seems to be already required.

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The example for <progress>[1] seems to have a markup error:

> Should the <label> start tag be there?

Removed.

> In the same example there's also this:
>
>   <</script>
>
> ...which probably should be "</script>".

This seems to have fixed itself.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>, 2006-11-26 12:58 +0100:
>
> > Some element content model explicitly mention that they can't contain
> > themself. This probably makes sense for the following elements as
> > well:
> >
> > * <meter>
> > * <progress>
> > * <time>
> > * [<i> (was <t>]
> > * [<mark>]
> > * <abbr>?
> > * <cite>?
> >
> > There might be more.
>
> annotations (footnotes, endnotes, marginalia) and acronym

While I considered making it illegal to nest these inside each other, I
don't really see the point of disallowing it. Someone might find a use
someday, and I don't want to stop experimentation.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> I'm probably missing something obvious because I'm not a DOM expert.
> However when reviewing the meter element I note the following:
>
> interface HTMLMeterElement : HTMLElement {
>            attribute long value;
>            attribute long min;
>            attribute long max;
>            attribute long low;
>            attribute long high;
>            attribute long optimum;
> };
>
> However, "User agents must parse the min, max, value, low, high, and
> optimum attributes using the rules for parsing floating point number
> values."
>
> Is long in fact the appropriate type for something that's parsed as a
> floating point number? Should it be double or float or real or some
> such?

Oops. Fixed.