[whatwg] img/alt summary attempt

On Apr 15, 2008, at 15:38, David Poehlman wrote:
> described by is not equivalent and I believe this point has already
> been
> made.  Legend if used properly is not equivalent either.

Right. Describedby, alt, title and legend of surrounding figure aren't
exactly the same concept. They are in the same ballpark, though. When
there are four concepts that are close to each other, two questions
arise:

  1) How should authors assess the necessity and usefulness of each of
these concepts in a given authoring situation?

  2) How are user agents expected to convey the subtleties in
difference of concept and handle the presence of different data in
different cases in a smooth way? Does at least one plausible UI design
exist?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi