[whatwg] INS and DEL in lists

Dnia 28-03-2008, Pt o godzinie 13:29 -0500, Tab Atkins Jr. pisze:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Krzysztof ?elechowski
> <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
>
>         Dnia 28-03-2008, Pt o godzinie 09:12 -0500, Tab Atkins Jr.
>         pisze:
>
>         > >And the original problem can be solved using CSS2;
>         > >I only wanted to bring a similar example:
>         > >HTML poorly supports interleaving unrelated markup streams.
>         > Please, elaborate.  The reason this is a problem is because
>         it *can't*
>         > be well-solved with CSS.
>

>         How about <LI CLASS="DEL" >?
>
> Conveys no semantics, unfortunately.  Non-css browsers will have no
> way of knowing that this is a deleted item.  That's the whole point of
> having a <del> element in the first place.
>

>         >
>         > On the other hand, mixing together lists and tables doesn't
>         seem to
>         > have any good semantic interpretation.
>

>         How about bilingual lists that have to be aligned in two
>         columns?
>
>         > The reason I objected to that example was because you'd
>         pretty much
>         > just be jacking the *display* of <ol> for your own purposes,
>         without
>         > regard to the semantics.  If you just want something
>         numbered without
>         > giving it proper list semantics, hand-number it or use
>         generated
>         > content.
>

>         On the other hand, once I have a list, I can put it into a
>         table cell.
>         Then I translate the list into the neighbouring cell
>         and I realise that the translations do not align.
>         According to your recipe,
>         I have to convert the original list structure to something
>         else,
>         something that older browsers do not support well.
>         I feel frustrated about that.
>

> Ah, so in *this* case you're actually hijacking the *table* display
> while ignoring semantics.   You could just use a table to display it
> (I think the semantics would probably be okay).  If you want the list
> semantics specifically, use a *single* list and wrap each translation
> in a container that you can then give a defined width so that they
> stack next to each other.  That's just the first thing that came to
> mind.

The most attractive feature of HTML to me
is that it does not say "Resolution 800?600 required"
? indeed, there are products that require it without saying,
which is even worse.
I am worried such an explicit layout
would make the text unreadable on lower resolution displays
and hard to read on higher resolution displays.
And moreover, merging the lists is breaking them
because either uses a different numbering style
because they are in different languages.

Chris