[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, L. David Baron wrote:

> So why not give 'media-loop-start-time' an initial value (traditionally
> called 'auto') that makes it use the value from 'media-start-time',
> rather than forcing the author to specify the same thing twice for the
> normal case?  (And likewise for media-loop-end-time and media-end-time.)

The HTML5 spec doesn't have any CSS properties corresponding to these
features, but instead uses attributes. However, I have changed the spec to
use your idea here in the design of the attributes, so that 'loopstart'
and 'loopend', if not specified, will default to the values of 'start' and
'end' respectively.

> That said, I wonder whether it would be cleaner to put all (or a bunch)
> of these in a single property with a complicated value syntax rather
> than splitting it across a whole bunch of properties. Generally one of
> the main considerations in determining what should be separate
> properties is what should cascade separately or together (e.g., what the
> atomic units of what a user would want to override are).  The only use
> case I've thought of so far for property separation here is the ability
> to force infinite looping, although I tend to think that would be
> handled even better by a UA mechanism that allows the user to force the
> media to restart (and go through their specified looping again).

This doesn't really apply to the model the spec uses, so I haven't done
anything with it.

Cheers,