[whatwg] Video, Closed Captions, and Audio Description Tracks

At 9:45  +1200 8/10/07, Chris Double wrote:
>The video element  description states that Theora, Voribis and Ogg
>container should be supported. How should closed captions and audio
>description tracks for accessibility be supported using video and
>these formats?
>
>I was pointed to a page outlining some previous discussion on the issue:
>
>http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Video_accessibility
>
>Is there a way of identifying which track is the closed caption track,
>which is the alternate audio track, etc? How are other implementors of
>the video element handling this issue?
>
>Is CMML for the closed captions viable? Or a speex track for the
>alternate audio? Or using Ogg Skeleton in some way to get information
>about the other tracks?

There was also a thread I started in June, which I can't find on the
archives;  my initial email is below.

We suggested two ways to achieve captioning (a) by selection of
element, at the HTML level ('if you need captions, use this
resource') and (b) styling of elements at the HTML level ('this video
can be asked to display captions').

Choice (a) means that it is possible, for example, to prepare
alternative versions with 'burned in' accessibility (e.g. captions),
and then explicit support for them is not needed in the format.

Choice (b) is more economical in media resources, and recognizes that
'true captioning' is sometimes better (e.g. it might be delivered out
on analog video as line 21 data).

The previous thread faded away, but with the W3C meeting approaching,
I'd like to get a sense of how we make progress in this area.  Should
we (Apple) edit this into the Wiki, should we (Apple or WhatWG) carry
the proposal to the W3C, and if so, which group?  And so on.

Thanks for re-raising this!

* * * * *