[whatwg] Video, Closed Captions, and Audio Description Tracks

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 02:14:05 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> this is a very good discussion to have and I would be curious about
> the opinions of people.

An alternative is to use SVG as a container format. You can include
captions in various forms, provide controls to swap between thm, and even
provide metadata (using some common accessibility vocabulary) to describe
the different available tracks, and you can convert common timed text
formats relatively simply. For implementors who already have SVG this is
possibly a good option.

where you have fallback content means you can deal with some semi-capable
format that doesn't allow a full range of accessibility options in a
single resource...

[snip]
> I think we need to understand exactly what we expect from the caption
> tracks before being able to suggest an optimal solution.

Agree. I'm more likely to be involved if the discussion takes place on the
W3C mailing list.

> On 10/8/07, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
>> The video element  description states that Theora, Voribis and Ogg
>> container should be supported. How should closed captions and audio
>> description tracks for accessibility be supported using video and
>> these formats?

cheers

Chaals

     je parle fran?ais -- hablo espa?ol -- jeg l?rer norsk
http://my.opera.com/chaals              Try the Kestrel - Opera 9.5 alpha