[whatwg] Client-side database and origins

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Brady Eidson wrote:

> However, what if the developer at "http://www.foo.com:80/user1" creates
> a database called "Photos", and the user at
> "http://www.foo.com:80/user2" does the same.  They both expect to be
> able to create their own database and not have outside interference, yet
> for the user who visits one page before the other, things will
> inexplicably fail.

Indeed, on multiuser systems, it would be prudent to have database names
prefixed with user IDs, e.g. "user1/photos" and "user2/photos". This could
end up being quite common if, e.g., blogging software starts using these
databases and many users on a host all install the same blogging software.

> I suppose it's an issue that is allowed by the spec and therefore
> developers should be aware of it and able to workaround it.  However, it
> seems like it would be very polite (and probably reasonably simple) to
> design the spec in a manner that would not allow this conflict.

Well, part of the problem is that we want databases to be accessible
regardless of path. For example:

   http://example.com/game1/...
   http://example.com/game2/...
   http://example.com/game3/...

...should all be able to access the "user profile" database, regardless
of which one created it.

It's not entire clear to me how to resolve the issue.