[whatwg] [wf2] datalist value and label coupling to input

From: Rikkert Koppes <rikkert@finalist.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:07:54 +0100
Dear all,

Suppose I have the following code snippet

<input name="pref" list="fruits">
<datalist id="fruits">
<option label="apple" value="1">
<option label="pear" value="2">
<option label="banana" value="3">
</datalist>

Purpose is to enable the user to either type a new fruit name or select an existing fruit number. Actually I want the list [apple,pear,banana] as suggestion list, but as I understand correctly, the suggestion in this case would be [1,2,3], the label elements are just annotations to these values.

Is there any (proposed) solution to let the user work with the fruit names, so names are given as suggestions and a different name might be typed in, but submit the selected fruit number if one was picked from the list?

regards,
Rikkert Koppes