[whatwg] input type="file" value inconsistencies

On 11/14/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2007, at 2:50 AM, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
>

> > For browsers, I really expect options like:
> >
> > [file input script access]
> > Reveal full path for file input = no (default) | yes with warning |
> > yes
> > Full path format for file input = native (default) | file URI
> > Quote full path for file input = yes (default) | no
>
> Are you suggesting these should be user preferences?

Well, the settings I would use (for local files at the least) would be:

[file input script access]
Reveal full path for file input = yes
Full path format for file input = file URI
Quote full path for file input = no

, so technically, I would not need any preferences, just different defaults.

However, since everyone has their preference, being compatible and
safer by default with the option to tweak could be satisfying. Also,
since this stuff probably can't be put in the spec, it's best left up
to the UA with the spec just recommending a safe default.

As to whether they *should* be *advanced* user preferences, I guess
that depends on what everyone else thinks. Allowing users to override
stuff isn't always taken lightly. Then again, options are great.

(The format of the path revealed isn't as important because you can
use JS to convert it to your liking.)

--
Michael