[whatwg] several messages about a way to disable referer headers for links

From: Darin Adler <darin@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:18:24 -0800

>>> I think it's way better to stay consistent. Especially as the
>>> feature affects the Referer (sic) header.
>>
>> I too think Anne is right here...
>
> This may be one of those "never been done, so can never happen"
> things, but
> couldn't the spec as easily support both?
>
> It seems a bit silly that stuff should have to be spelled wrong to
> work.

I'm really sorry to be diving into a trivial debate like this, but in
our work on the Safari browser we've always treated the HTTP header
field with the name "Referer" as the "referrer header field" and
considered the misspelling part of the HTTP protocol, not to be
propagated into other contexts.

And as far as I can tell, standards other than HTTP have taken this
tack too. For example, the document you can access from JavaScript has
a "referrer" property, without the misspelling.

I don't think that spelling the attribute "noreferer" is consistent.
It should be "noreferrer".

     -- Darin