[whatwg] media element playback rates

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Kevin Calhoun wrote:

> A consideration in raising this issue now is that in our prototyping we
> rediscovered the need for the media engine to be informed in advance,
> whenever possible, of the rate at which it will be required to play, in
> order to prepare itself appropriately.

How far in advance? Would passing an argument to play() satisfy this?
(i.e. can it be immediately before playback begins, or does it have to be
measurably earlier?)

> In the alternative model Dave described, the same operations you enumerated
> are also readily performed as below [...]

With the proposal, I don't see how you can set the speed in one controller
and then have another controller do fast-forward and then have the first
controller resume play again, which is a design requirement for this API.