[whatwg] Markup for external content

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:59:47 +0100, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

>> * <applet>: the (old) way of activating Java. Probably must also die,
>> though I'm unsure about this one.
>
> Why must it die? Browsers have to support it anyway, so documenting it
> and letting it pass conformance checking seems sensible.

I agree to documenting it, but it should definately be deprecated in
favour of e.g. <object>.

> I don't like applets, either. In fact I've never seen a Java applet that
> wasn't either useless, better implemented in JavaScript, better
> implemented in Flash or better in a window of its own rather than in a
> replaced element rectangle. Still, pretending that <applet> doesn't
> exist won't make applets disappear. :-(

It's not about fighting Java on the web, it's about not giving it its own
special element, when -- as you point out -- it does exactly the same as
Flash does, which doesn't have its own element.

Asbj?rn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn at ulsberg.no
?He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away?