[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Dave Singer wrote:
> >
> > No, writing it into the HTML specification is not a commercial reason.
>
> Assuming you have commercial reasons for supporting HTML 5 (which I
> suspect you do, otherwise you wouldn't be here) then having Ogg
> specified gives you a commercial reason to support it.
>
> If that's not a commercial reason, then what would be a commercial
> reason? If everyone else implemented it?

A _commercial_ reason would be "our customers demand it". Customers in
this case would be users, and users would demand it if a big video site
started using Ogg Theora.

> Why don't we all just go away and implement what we think is best for
> HTML 5, and then put a spec together after the fact? Then we wouldn't be
> forcing any issues, and there would be no "fiat". But we all know how
> well this approach to standards works.

Actually that's pretty much exactly what we're doing with HTML5.

> > No matter what the spec. says, if broad support became a reality, then
> > yes, it may be in our commercial interests.
>
> So Apple's strategy is to wait and see what codec everyone else
> implements, and then implement that one?

Everyone's strategy should be to implement what they need to implement.
Implementing random stuff without good reason ends up simply bloating your
product.

> > anyone *can* implement the codecs we implement;  they may choose not
> > to, for commercial reasons (e.g. they don't like the license)
>
> Oh c'mon, that's a ridiculous definition of the word "can". How exactly
> "can" the KDE project implement a codec in Konqueror which requires
> royalties? How "can" the Mozilla project implement such a codec without
> removing the redistributability of Firefox?

In both cases, by negotiating appropriate licenses with the IP owners.

> As another example of specifications requiring support for other
> specifications, SVG viewers are required to support both JPEG and PNG:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/conform.html#ConformingSVGViewers

SVG is not a spec I would recommend using as an example of a good spec.

> And I haven't seen anyone writing standards like "Yes, we support SVG,
> but not the bit which says we need to support JPEG and PNG".

3GPP has said exactly that with the video codec part of SVG.