[whatwg] Codecs (was Re: Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements)

Hi Gareth,
Well my company deals with these issues every day as our main line of
business is codecs and multimedia. Patents only apply to the country
of issue so the UK company could only be sued under US law in your
example. If the UK company have no US presence it would be likely that
the patent holder would go after either the US distributor is such exist
or in extreme cases the US customers of the UK company.

And I don't want to turn this into a legal discussion list either, but I
think that a it can't be a non-issue either, which is why w3c for
instance do have a patent policy in place.

So while almost no software can be sure to not violate any patent
anywhere, the response should not be to embrace royalty bearing patented
technologies wholeheartedly for something wanting to be a truly open
standard, but at least attempt to go with the technologies and choices
which have at least attempted to be royalty free. So maybe someone come
with new Theora or Dirac patent claims if they get choosen, but at least
in that case this group made an honest effort to try to avoid the
situation and move towards a more inclusive web, instead of throwing the
open source community and the end users to the wolfs by either endorsing
technologies with established patents and royalty fees or by trying to
duck the issue by just standardizing the HTML packaging.

I mean what have we truly achieved if the new VIDEO element means that
web page developers still have to support Windows Media for Windows
clients, MPEG4 for Apple systems and Ogg for Linux/Unix systems? I think
in that case most web developers would be more than happy to just stick
to using flash video, at least they can get away with encoding once and
have a decent chance of all platforms supporting it.

Christian