[whatwg] Codecs (was Re: Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements)

Hi Vladimir,
Lets put any idea of using MPEG4 in the standard at rest right away.
Unless someone has a brilliant idea for who the open source and freely
distributable Firefox would avoid becoming non-distributable in large
parts of the world, and still conform to the standard by including MPEG4
support, then that is a no-go from the beginning. Firefox is the major
participant here dwarfing for instance Safari's market share.

Theora/Dirac/Vorbis is the only solutions which can be chosen which has
any hope of working out for all comers, while MPEG4 is dead-on-arrival
for major participants from the get-go.

All w3c standards are royalty free and there is no reason why this
proposal should be different in that regard. And as H?kon Wium Lie
pointed out in another email, the latest SVG standard already mandates
Vorbis support, so half of what is needed is already specified in
another major web standard.

Personally I don't have strong preferences between Theora and Dirac as
they both have their strenghts and weaknesses. But I think both could
feet the needs of this standard well.

Christian

--
Business Development Manager