[whatwg] <video> element feedback

From: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 04:15:55 +0100
On 23/03/07, Sander Tekelenburg <st at isoc.nl> wrote:
> While that might be useful, it's not at all obvious to me that it is a
> *requirement*. What is so wrong with fetching the entire file, and start
> playing it at the point referenced by the fragment identifier? That's how
> fragment identifiers work for textual resources (and they fetch the usual
> truckload of images along with the HTML file).

Well, it would be nice to not have to download an hour long lecture to
see the 30 second interval of interest starting at at 47:26...
However, as I understand the Ogg Theora format, it contains essential
data for decoding in the start of the file, so unless the server has
some format specific knowledge and handling the client must either
have already gotten that information somehow, or must request the
entire file. I have no idea whether the other codecs I've heard
discussed (Dirac and H.264) have a similar issue or not.
--
David "liorean" Andersson