[whatwg] Comments on the <video> element

Le Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:06:51 +0200, Alexey Feldgendler
<alexey at feldgendler.ru> a ?crit:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:07:20 +0100, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 3. Personally, I believe the native UI should opt-out, not opt-in.
>> <video> element implementations should not be required to implement
>> native UI, however, if authors want to have their own custom UI, then
>> they must set <video ui="none"> (or something similar).
>
> I believe the implementations should be required to implement native UI.
> Otherwise the author who writes <video src="..."> couldn't be sure that
> the UI will be there, and he would have to implement a custom UI anyway.

I was initially intending to ask for native UI as a requirement, but then
... some implementations would forced to make a native UI for conformance.
This is not always desirable.

Native UI should be a requirement only if there are no restrictions over
the definition of what's a native UI. That is, some native UI
implementations might choose to provide the controls on top of the video,
on roll over, others might favour having controls outside the video,
displayed as a toolbar.

Sites that want to brand their video player, shall disable the native UI.

My initial email is only asking for a very important choice to be made:
native UI by default, make the branding as optional.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future