[whatwg] Attribute proposal: <video autostart>

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:17:16 +0100, Sander Tekelenburg <st at isoc.nl> wrote:

>> Therefore (to ease authoring and thus help adoption) I would like to
>> propose a new boolean attribute for <video>: autoplay="autoplay". It's
>> presence would be equivalent to invocing play() on the video ASAP.

> If it's a boolean, why not autoplay="true"? Or if you want to make it
> easy
> for less-techy authors, just a valueless "autoplay" atribute. (At the
> very
> least, this sort of thing should be consistent throughout the spec. HTML
> 4
> and CSS 2 are inconsistent in this area, which makes it too easy for
> authors
> to make mistakes.)

Automatic behavior in HTML has been traditionally expressed through
scripting. It's not hard to write a one-line script which automatically
starts playback, but solutions based on scripting are easier to circumvent
on the user side (and it's good).

-1 for |autoplay|.