[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Why it is not necessary good to mandate a specific format in a
> specification
>

> * When to standardize, especially an RDF API
>   Dan Connolly
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/QA/2007/03/orthogonal_specifications_is_good

That makes some sense, though reading it one thing jumps out at me. Why
can we not link to a video with an img element? Why can't we link to a
Flash animation or SVG or SMIL with an img element? Isn't a video just
another image format? If the specifications really are orthogonal, then
the media format shouldn't be relevant.

By the way, I checked. HTML 4.0.1 never actually defines "image". It
says imgs link to images, but it doesn't say anything about images being
static that I noticed.

How orthogonal are the specs really?

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!