[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Shadow2531 wrote:

> Or, do most feel the video element should just support whatever the
> browser wants and leave it at that?

Personally I was unaware that there was a platform neutral, open, patent
unencumbered video format. However if Theora is such a format, then that
would be a very good thing; and I'm tempted to say we should introduce
the video element and require it to support Theora and only Theora just
to drive its adoption in place of all those annoying proprietary formats
that never work right from one browser or PC to the next.

But then I take a deep breath, and think that we're really not doing
anything here that embed/object doesn't do. Video isn't all that
different from Flash or SVG or other non-static embedded content.
Different video formats will be used no matter what we do.

I'm just not sure that I see a strong enough use case here to justify
the introduction of another element most browsers will not support for
years if ever.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!