[whatwg] Gears design goals

But it does place a very large burdon on the servers. Google would expect to
have quite a few applications and my guess is the last thing we would want
is to keep pinging every application to see if it up to date whenever any
application is used.

In fact while we want to make sure the user has the most up to date version
we don't need to check on every use. In most cases the current captured
version will be fine. The only time that is not the case is when the old
version has been made obsolete by a newer version. Unfortunately this can
occur at anytime, including when the application is running. So in that case
the server needs to tell the client application that it has to force an
immediate reload. So the client can always run the currently saved app,
check for updates at a convenient time (and in reality not too often).

As for shared code, I believe it is a problem but one that can be ignored
right now. It does require each app to host all of its own pages. To do
anything else moves us in the direction of shared libraies which will open
up a can of worms that can be avoided for now.