[whatwg] The issue of interoperability of the <video> element

On 6/28/07, Nicholas Shanks <contact at nickshanks.com> wrote:

> For your future reference, Robert, the browsers I am familiar with and was
> referring to in my statement about image decoders are WebKit-based browsers,
> OmniWeb 4.5 (historically), Camino and iCab 3. I avoid FireFox and Opera
> due to their non-native interfaces and form controls.Given your statement
> I may be incorrect about Camino though.

You are.

If we're going to make sweeping statements about how browsers work, let's
make sure we include IE, Firefox and Opera in our data.

> We use official Ogg Theora libraries.
> No-one's suggesting reimplementing codecs. We're talking about integrating
> existing codecs into the browser, and shipping them with the browser.
>
> This is only possible if the codec is free. I thought we were talking
> about the problem of adding non-free codecs (namely WMV and MPEG4) to free
> software, (possibly also involving reverse-engineering the codec).

No-one's suggesting that. As Maik points out, reverse engineering is a dead
end. Shipping a binary codec with, say, Firefox is a theoretical
possibility, but for many reasons it's very unlikely to happen.

Rob
--
"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred
denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back,