[whatwg] The issue of interoperability of the <video> element

Jerason Banes schrieb:
> Out of those solutions, VP6, WMV, Sorenson, and RealVideo can
> immediately be discarded for their lack of standardization. That leaves
> H.263 and MPEG4 as the only viable options.
>
> H.263 is not a bad choice, IMHO. It's well supported by nearly every
> major video player, has a variety of library implementations available,
> is in widespread usage, and has a good tradeoff between bandwidth and
> quality. It is also a standard under the ITU-T.
> [...]
> That being said, I think I prefer the H.263 standard as a video baseline
> for a few reasons:

H.263 is seriously outperformed by Theora. I don't know where all that
"Theora is high bitrate and low quality" talk comes from. It's not as
good as H.264, but it's for sure not worse than H.263 and from my tests
it's consistently better at low bitrate video.

Maik Merten