[whatwg] The issue of interoperability of the <video> element

Dave Singer wrote:
> What is more, no-one with
> deep pockets has yet used the Ogg codecs seriously, and therefore there
> is no "honey pot" to attract the submarines (hm, do submarines like
> honey?).  This is not the case with H.264 and AAC, as we have made, um,
> some money using them, among others.

If you had been making this argument before November last year, would
you have included MP3 in that list of "technologies people had been
making money from but which had attracted no submarines"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatel-Lucent_v._Microsoft shows that this
sort of argument about "deep pockets" and "so far" shouldn't give Apple
much confidence. MP3 was used by a lot of people with deep pockets for
quite a while before the submarine surfaced.

Gerv