[whatwg] Allowed characters in attribute names (was: Re: Stepsfor finding one or two numbers in a string)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:51:46 +0200, K?i?tof ?elechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:

> Your hypothetical author is unable to insert an embed element because
> embed is all English to him.  Being able to use a Mandarin attribute
> name will not help him much because he cannot produce the element to
> use it with.

In my example I had the author using an IDE that is localised already for
known elements. People really do this. The ones I am aware of actually use
japanese or arabic, and do it for convenience - although in principle they
can normally work with some kind of latin script, they are not very
familiar with english, and would be as happy to use "inbed" as "embed",
and happier with something that they recognise more instinctively. China,
in particular, is quite keen on localising everything. India seems more
inclined to do so, as well, as time goes on and they become a more
important player in technology.

The scenario does require that the language is extensible - this can be
done with XML, presumably including the XML version HTML 5, but not HTML 5
as currently proposed.

> Considering Arabic script and the like, the time is probably near when we
> will have to learn it anyway.  But we still have some time left, so let's
> just use the opportunities.  The day is full of troubles even without
> your fantasizing.

Thanks for your polite and constructive reply.

> Cheers,
> Chris

   hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com