[whatwg] About adopting quirks mode parsing

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:
> Le 18 juil. 2006 ? 21:43, Ian Hickson a ?crit :
> > >
> > > It might be desirable also that a valid HTML4 document gets a
> > > conforming HTML4 DOM. If it is, then <p>s shouldn't contain <table>.
> >
> > I agree.

> being structured inline-level elements? Let's take this valid snippet of
> HTML 4:

> According to HTML 4 parsers, I believe the DOM will be:

>      #text: Some text
>    UL
>      LI
>        #text: List item

Right. And for compatibility with legacy content, that's what HTML5 does
too.

> But in HTML 5, where the list can be part of a paragraph, shouldn't the
> list be put inside the paragraph? Giving this DOM:

>      #text: Some text
>      UL
>        LI
>          #text: List item
>
> Or should the list be put inside the paragraph only when you have an
> explicit closing <p> tag following the list (so that it becomes invalid
> HTML 4):

> ?

Neither. As it says in 8.1.2.5. Restrictions on content models [1]:

# A p element must not contain blockquote, dl, menu, ol, pre, table, or ul
# elements, even though these elements are technically allowed inside p
# elements according to the content models described in this
# specification. (In fact, if one of those elements is put inside a p
# element in the markup, it will instead imply a p element end tag before
# it.)

The new content models only apply to the DOM and the XML serialisations,
they can't be expressed in the HTML serialisation.

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#restrictions