[whatwg] Issues concerning the <base> element and xml:base

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:23:54 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

>>  Please don't introduce more quirks mode nonsense. We have more than
>> enough already as it is.
>
> I'm not saying that we should add it to the spec. I'm saying that
> firefox might be able to remove support for the weird <base> behavior in
> standards mode, while retaining it in quirks mode.

I believe Anne meant "don't introduce more differences between quirks mode
and standards mode".

#1.

If a lot of pages rely on it, then any UA that has an interest in
supporting the real Web would like to implement it, and so it should be
specced in HTML5. If you're being non-compliant with the spec because you
want to support the Web then it's the spec that is wrong, not the
implementation.

Personally I would like to see quirks mode, almost standards mode,
standards mode and XHTML mode be as close to each other as possible
(perhaps even merging almost standards mode with standards mode, in other
words dropping standards mode). It makes authoring, implementation and QA
a lot simpler.

--
Simon Pieters