[whatwg] Drop UTF-32

On Jun 4, 2007, at 14:17, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> Also, even for those encodings for which a single-byte encoding
> like Windows-1252 can be a reasonable fallback, it's doesn't seem
> wise to me to mandate the use of Windows-1252 (or any other fixed
> encoding) as the fallback. Some software, especially in devices,
> already exists that only supports one or several encodings, and
> these are the most important ones in the local market (e.g.
> Japanese in devices sold in Japan).

I think it is perfectly reasonable to make support for UTF-8 and
Windows-1252 part of UA conformance requirements. After all, a piece
of software that doesn't support those two really has no business
pretending to be a UA for the World Wide Web. Not supporting
Windows-1252 based on "local market" arguments is serious walled-
gardenism.

UTF-32 as an encoding for interchange, on the other hand, is nothing
but an academic time sink for implementors.

I'm going to support UTF-32 when a decoder is available, but I'd like
to know what a parser is to do when the decoder isn't available. (By
default, you don't get a UTF-32 decoder with the JDK.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/