[whatwg] javascript API for <video> element

On Jun 2, 2007, at 5:40 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the Annodex Association and Xiph Foundation are in the process of
> implementing a small-footprint library and firefox plugin called
> OggPlay that provides native Ogg Theora support.
>
> There's a javascript API in the process of being specified - and I
> think it would be valuable for others to have a look at and provide
> input. It may also be possible to include such a javascript API into
> the HTML5 spec for the <video> element.
>
> Check it out here: http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/OggPlayJavascriptAPI

Have you guys considered using the HTML5 <video> JavaScript API as
the basis for your API? http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-
work/#media

I see a lot of overlap in functionality but even basic things are
done differently. For example, you guys have separate get and set
methods for things that are just read-write or read-only attributes
in HTML5. And often methods with the same basic functionality have
different names. Mostly the <video> API is more detailed than your
proposal for what it covers.

You do have some new functionality, like the playlist API. It would
be easier to fold into HTML5 if it was designed as an extension to
the current API.

> Feedback should probably go in copy to the theora at lists.xiph.org
> mailing list.

Cc'd since I gave feedback.