[Whatwg] Request for HTML-only print link

href="print://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/" is no good; it
asks the browser to find the resource using the print protocol.  But the
print protocol is for printing, not for finding resources; I imagine it
could be used for finding out some printer configuration parameters (similar
to the way printers with a network interface only can be configured) and to
submit documents for printing, nothing more.

How about

<form

action="print://host_name/printer_name/?

href=&quo;http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/&quo;&amp;

palette=mono&amp;

copies=3&amp;

mode=draft,booklet&amp;

stapled=top" method="post" ><input type="submit" value="Print me"></form >?
It feels better to me.  Of course, the arguments would be interpreted by the
browser, not by the printer, contrary to what the syntax suggests, but I
think this problem is much smaller and I can swallow it in spite of being a
purist.

The idea that a fragment can address a block element is quite interesting;
in the old days a reference to #name would usually correspond to an anchor
with the same name-and you cannot embrace a block-level element with an
anchor.  I think it is still common practice to put the named anchor around
the section header and not around the whole section, which would require a
division, not an anchor.

I did not want to say that printing is obsolete; I wanted to say that asking
the customer to print is obsolete.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Your
site should not lose functionality because your customer does not have a
printer.

Cheers

Chris