[whatwg] <canvas> Firefox support for toDataURL broken

From: Philip Taylor <excors+whatwg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:04:49 +0100
On 10/07/07, dev <dev.akhawe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so forgive me
> if I am wrong (and point it out too).
>
> The spec states the toDataURL("image/svg+xml") should return image in
> svg format , if it can't support that then png image should be
> returned. But it seems firefox throws an exception to
> canvas.toDataURL("image/svg+xml") whereas it should be returning the
> image in png format.

That's correct, and it's just a bug in Firefox. Throwing an exception
on toDataURL("image/png", null) is a vaguely similar bug. (Opera
agrees with the spec in both cases. Safari doesn't implement toDataURL
at all). Probably Firefox should change its behaviour, unless it has
good reasons not to, in which case possibly the spec should change to
match it.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ is the best place for reporting bugs
like this, under component 'Core' / 'Layout: Canvas'. (I've got a load
of test failures recorded at
<http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/tests/tests/results.html>, and more
from not-quite-finished tests - I've been waiting to have more
completeness before reporting all the found bugs, but I keep getting
distracted by other things and haven't got around to that yet...)

--
Philip Taylor
excors at gmail.com