[whatwg] WF2: Non-validating submit buttons

From: Martin Atkins <mart@degeneration.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:03:58 +0000

It would be useful to be able to mark certain submit buttons as
non-validating.

Use case: lots of the forms generated by one of my web-apps have a
"Cancel" button which simply causes the server to redirect the user back
to wherever they came from. When I use the WF2 extensions to mark
required fields, formats, etc the Cancel button won't submit until the
form is completed correctly. This doesn't make much sense from a UI
perspective.

I propose a flag on the submit button elements (both INPUT and BUTTON
TYPE="SUBMIT") which causes the browser not to run the usual validation
procedure before submitting when that button is pressed. For example:

     <input type="submit" validate="no" />

I'm not fussed about the exact name/usage of the attribute, but it seems
like a common enough case to warrant a declarative solution rather than
a script one.