[whatwg] xml:space

From: Martin Atkins <mart@degeneration.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:15:02 +0000
Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> xml:space can't affect the tree being formed as far as I know. It's not
> entirely clear to me what its use is anyway, except in SVG, where they
> defined it in a funny way to make it do something.

Presumably its primary purpose is to act as a signal to generic XML
tools ? that don't have any special knowledge about XHTML ? that they
should not screw around with the whitespace inside PRE, etc.

One obvious example of such a tool is an XML pretty-printer. While an
HTML pretty-printer like HTML Tidy can have rules "hard-coded" into it,
this is not true of a non-validating XML formatter unless it is
specifically written for XHTML.